Governor Chris Sununu - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

News Release

For Immediate Release
November 1, 2017

Governor Sununu Press Office
(603) 271-2121

NH DHHS Food Stamp Recipients May Request Replacement Benefits Due To Recent Power Outages

Concord, NH – With the recent storm affecting communities across New Hampshire, many residents may lose food due to spoilage caused by loss of power. According to the NH Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Division of Family Assistance, food stamp recipients impacted by power outages are eligible for replacement benefits.

“To ensure replacement food, families must report food loss within 10 days,” said Governor Chris Sununu. “Food insecurity remains a pressing issue for far too many New Hampshire families, and the recent storms should not force families to go hungry,”

Per the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS), DHHS must replace food stamp benefits for clients who lost food due to a power outage such as one related to the recent storm. Federal food stamp policy also establishes four hours as the minimum time for a power outage in order to replace food stamp benefits. A refrigerator, if not opened, will keep food safely cold for about four hours. After four hours without power, perishable food such as meat, poultry, fish, soft cheese, milk, eggs, leftovers, and deli items should be discarded.

“Everyone affected by the power outage should follow the four hour power outage standard,” said DHHS Commissioner Jeffrey A. Meyers. “People receiving food stamps can get replacement benefits so they and their families can remain food secure while New Hampshire continues its recovery from the storm damage.”

Affected residents must report the loss within 10 days of the loss. Individuals participating in the Food Stamp Program on October 30, 2017, may request replacement food stamps no later than November 9th.  Food stamp benefits are 100% federally funded. Federal Food Stamp policy includes replacement benefits for food lost as a result of circumstances such as this.

To request replacement benefits, food stamp participants must sign a statement indicating the food loss was due to a power outage related to the storm, and state the total value of the lost food. Participants may use convenient forms available in English  pdf file, Spanish  pdf file, and Nepalese  pdf file. Recipients may also contact either their local DHHS district office or call 1-800-852-3345 x 9700.

Portable Document Format Symbol Portable Document Format (.pdf). Visit for a list of free .pdf readers for a variety of operating systems.

Office of Governor Christopher Sununu
State House  |  107 North Main Street  |  Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-2121  |  fax: (603) 271-7680