For Immediate Release
Posted: November 18, 2021


Communications Director
(603) 271-2121 |

State Increases Benefits To Help Home Heating Costs

Concord, NH – Today Governor Chris Sununu and the New Hampshire Department of Energy announced an increase in benefit amounts for the New Hampshire Fuel Assistance Program due to highly inflated national energy costs.  This year, the New Hampshire Department of Energy is increasing benefit amounts by 60% over last winter for most beneficiaries. Benefits will range from $253 to $2,520, up from $158 to $1,575 last winter.

“Ensuring Granite Staters can keep warm this winter is among the most pressing issues facing our state,” said Governor Chris Sununu. “Due to a nationwide spike in energy prices, we are taking steps to help those in need. If you are struggling to pay for home heating costs or know someone who is, help is just a phone call away.”

The Fuel Assistance Program provides qualifying New Hampshire households with grants to assist with home heating costs. The benefit amounts for qualifying households are determined based on a wide variety of factors including income, household size, housing type, and fuel type.

“Increased energy costs represent a heavy burden for all Granite Staters, especially for low-income households,” said Interim Energy Commissioner Jared Chicoine. “In light of the growing national inflation and dramatic projected increases in heating fuels, the New Hampshire Department of Energy is increasing the benefit ranges for the Fuel Assistance Program. This benefit increase will help make sure that low income Granite Staters can keep their homes warm this winter.”

The Fuel Assistance Program is the New Hampshire arm of the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) that is funded through the US Department of Health and Human Services. The Program serves households making up to 60% of the State Median Income figure.

If you or someone you know is having difficulty paying for home heating fuel or utilities, please call your local Community Action Agency. If you need help locating the agency in your area, click on or call 211 for additional information.